Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Healthy Dinner & Guacamole

Today I had a real breakthrough with food. Okay, it's small compared to what healthy eaters consume on a daily basis, but it was big for me. I was really hungry after I got home from the grocery store, I had a headache and I needed food NOW. What did I do? I ate a banana and some pre-chopped (thank you Honey!) cantaloupe. I usually don't eat fruit very much and especially when I'm actually hungry. I've been thinking a lot lately about eating more healthy foods, so I'm excited that I made some progress with my choices. Tonight we were going to have hamburgers for dinner, but when I reached into the freezer to get them (pre-formed and frozen in a box) and saw that the second ingredient was BEEF HEARTS, I changed my mind. Gross. Then the grill wasn't working anyway, so I concocted some steamed veggies and leftover brown rice with some parmesan and seasoning. That was our dinner. The girls both liked the cauliflower too. Ellie asked for some more and David said "Okay, but only because you've been a really good girl today." Sometimes it's just so funny when the girls are thrilled with vegetables. It's awesome really. It makes being a parent that much easier.

And of course we had the yummy guacamole I made too. I had purchased avacados a week ago and they had been sitting in the fridge (so the fruit flys wouldn't get them). I think the only way I'll ever eat those green things is in dip, so the guacamole was born into our home. We all really liked it with tortilla chips. As you can see, the girls really got into it too...

After we had all that healthy food, I just had to give the girls a Newman O's cookie. At least they are a healthier version of Oreo's with no Partially Hydrogenated Oils. You have to have a little sugar after having veggies for dinner. I guess some would beg to differ though. : )



 Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Jenni said...

Yeah! That is great Ari, I'm always affraid to feed my family a lot of veggies, way to branch out and try a new thing! Good to see your girls enjoying gaucamole too, none of my boys (including Chris) like avacados, so far Guenna likes them, hopefully she takes afer me! :)